Unfortunately, cold season is here. The bad news is there is no real cure for the common cold. The good news is there are several things you can do to make your cold more bearable. As Cherry People, we believe in kicking the common cold the natural way. So here are five natural foods you can add to your diet that have been shown by science to relieve your symptoms and feel better sooner.
- Yogurt and Kefir – Eating probiotic foods, such as yogurt and kefir, is a good way to replenish beneficial strains of bacteria, which promote digestive health and help prevent stomach aliments. Studies have shown that the beneficial bacteria can help shorten the duration of a cold and make symptoms less severe. And even more recent studies suggest that they can even help prevent respiratory infections like the common cold. That’s the best of both worlds.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Cold viruses tend to put your body in an overly acidic state, which makes it more difficult for your immune system to fight back. Taking Apple Cider Vinegar can help alkalinize or neutralize the acidity in your body so you are better able to kill a cold and squash its miserable symptoms faster. Try mixing a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with warm water, honey and lemon. Drinking the concoction a few times a day should have you back to health in no time.
- Ginger root has been shown to be a powerful healer with amazing anti-inflammatory properties and can be a life saver for an upset stomach. Taking ginger can help with nausea and indigestion. It also helps warm your body, which helps your body get rid of toxins and other harmful invaders.
- Chicken Noodle Soup – It’s true! Eating Chicken Noodle Soup can help reduce the severity of a cold in 3 ways. The hot soup helps break up congestion associated with both colds and the flu, the salt in the soup helps soothe the throat, and the broth helps you stay hydrated – the most important thing to do when fighting a cold.
- Tart Cherry Juice – Like many other fruits and vegetables, tart cherries pack a powerful antioxidant and antiviral punch. Research has shown that vitamins, minerals, and beneficial plant compounds found in tart cherries can boost your immune system. Hopefully 8 ounces a day will keep your doctor away!